Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
I have not had any issues with rough edges and my dremel with drill bit combo. i can get some close up pics later if needed but if you look at my work from last year you will not see rough edges. I prefer the drill bits over versatool just for the speed and maneuverability. I don't do many carves with loose enough tolerances to use a versa so using a drill bit is about my only option. I did mount my versa to my workspace so that I can hold the gemmy with two hands and move the kin instead of the tool and liked that mucho better.
Oh cool, thanks for the feedback and photos guys. Very helpful. Looks like the Dremel can do a nice job, I suppose it sort of sands the edges as you go? I'd like to try the Dremel eventually, but I often do my carving in the kitchen, living room or office. I need to set up a work room where I can let the dust fly. :lol:
I think I carved that in like 10 minutes. (total) including Sticker paper transfer. :D
So you can get better results, if one takes their time.

Also one thing nice about the Hot-Knife is it Melts any little burrs.

Edit Burrs not a good word for this, More like "Foam Fibers"

Now to get rid of that with a Dremel, if your Looking for 100% total perfection.
Is once you cut out the shapes, you can go around them with a small burr bit.

Yep the Dust - I carve down my un-finished basement. Just let it fly, then shop vac it up, when it gets outta hand.
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:Oh cool, thanks for the feedback and photos guys. Very helpful. Looks like the Dremel can do a nice job, I suppose it sort of sands the edges as you go? I'd like to try the Dremel eventually, but I often do my carving in the kitchen, living room or office. I need to set up a work room where I can let the dust fly. :lol:

I started doing this and it helps a ton!