Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
I went to Michaels in my area today. They have the eggs in stock in 4 different sizes this year. I did not get one although I will probably go back and pick one up after I decide I should have bought one. The largest ones are $9.99 if anyone is wondering on the price.
By snow2alike
This years eggs must be different from last years .I did not carve one last year --- but what I expected to find after Ryan's report of 1/2 inch thick walls --- and what I found was surprising. It is super THIN --- less than a 1/4 of an inch in most places. It does have a support cross built in the walls that are thicker --- but still alot of thin space between the seam and the supports. I haven't carved it yet but I put a pretty detailed pattern on it and will carve it tomorrow. I bought 2 and they are both alike on the inside. Let you know how it turns out.
By snow2alike
Not your typical ZP carve ~~~ but my aunt asked me to do this for her. Here are three pics of the foam egg after carving with the ZP pro carver (love it) Click on the image and see the whole picture. These are all before being cleaned up and lit with a reg lt bulb. Very thin walls -- in some places I swear its closer to 1/8 of and inch thick. Under the left eye you can see the thicker area of a support bar --- but still not extremely thick. Easier to carve than 1/2 inch walls reported last year !

By Zombie Pumpkins!
Thanks for the update snow2alike, and congrats on the successful foam egg carving! Looks great! I can tell immediately from your photos that the egg walls look thinner this year. I don't see paint chipping/peeling either, which is something I experienced last year. Maybe the manufacturer heard our cries and made improvements to these eggs to make them easier to carve. I'll have to buy this year's model and take another stab at it.
By pagemaster1993
Looks great, I hope to do the E. Bunny Pattern on one this year.
By punchi
Hmmmmm...I wanted to use some of these to make some ZP wall sconce type things...now that they're thinner I might go for it. I've been having withdrawals...
By pagemaster1993
I bought one today. The walls are almost as thin as the pumpkins, the only problem I had was that you can't tell where the two half of the foam egg were put together unlike those of the pumpkins, but my carving did come out pretty good and I'll be posting a photo of it in April.
By punchi
pagemaster1993 wrote:I bought one today. The walls are almost as thin as the pumpkins, the only problem I had was that you can't tell where the two half of the foam egg were put together unlike those of the pumpkins, but my carving did come out pretty good and I'll be posting a photo of it in April.
Can you tell by looking on the inside (like after cutting the bottom out)? Is there a definite seam like with the kins? I wanted to cut them in half, and carve each side, which means I kinda need to know where the seam is...
By Zombie Pumpkins!
punchi wrote:Can you tell by looking on the inside (like after cutting the bottom out)? Is there a definite seam like with the kins?
Yep, that's what I do. Cut a little circle in the bottom for a light, and then you can peek inside and look at the thickness, seams, etc.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the eggs have a flat spot on the side (for if you intend to lay it on it's side after you carve a wide design). So you may not be able to cut it in half and have 100% rounded and symmetrical halves.
By snow2alike
I don't know if anyone likes carving Funkins (I don't) ~~ but if you do ~~~ Hobby Lobby has carveable eggs made by Funkin. The Funkin $9.99 egg is about 2 inches larger than the Michaels $9.99 egg. They have different sizes and colors. I did cut a light hole in the bottom and they are smooth on the inside. About a consistant 1/2 inch thickness. I don't know if I will carve it or not ~~ I really don't like carving them ~~~ they make a scrunchie noise that gives me chills !!! ..ooooooohhhhahahahha creepy !!!
By pagemaster1993
Yeah the biggest one Michaels has was a 7''. While there biggest pumpkin was 13".
By snow2alike
Yeah and Funkins PUMPKINS cost so much more than Michaels foam 'kins ~~ so I was very surprised at the size for size lower price than Michaels. I even went thru the garbage can to find the tag I cut off the funkin to make sure it said "FUNKIN" !!! It Does --- Even has their web address on the tag!!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Ah, so Funkins is getting in on the egg action too? Thanks for this information, snow2alike. I'm with you, I'm not really a fan of the carving process on Funkins (too brittle, dusty). The softer foam that Michael's pumpkins are easier and more comfortable to carve. If these Funkins eggs are the same sort of foam, and as thick as you say, it sounds like Michael's might be the better place for your egg needs (unless you need the larger size). Still, I'll probably go get one, just to say I've tried it.
By pagemaster1993
I asked the person who checked me out if there was any larger ones then the 7" and she said they had larger ones last year but didn't get them this year.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
This year Easter falls on Sunday, April 24. Soon it will be time to decide what you'll be carving into your foam eggs (or if you're me, deciding what sort of pattern you might design for this purpose)