Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
I picked up half a dozen Michael's foam pumpkins and a Versa Tool. Unfortunately, the employee's at Michael's looked at me funny when I asked about Transfer paper.. So I'm afraid I have to resort to the glue method. My biggest concern is will the Versa Tool burn or set the paper on fire?

If you couldn't tell, This is my first time working with foam pumpkins and the Versa tool. I did a couple real pumpkins last year, Heads up! and Michael Myers. My family thought they were fantastic, but after about a week in the fridge they started to turn.. so I'm looking for something that will essentially last forever.

Am I just paranoid? Or am I looking at a serious fire hazard here?

Thanks.
By Jack Carving
Here's an update.

I'm happy to announce I did not in fact, burn my house down.. lol. Staypuft Marshmellow Man has been forever immortalized on a white Foam Pumpkin.

It was touch and go for awhile as I got used to the Versa-tool, but I'm proud of my first attempt. :) I will say though, I would definitely love to get my hands on some Saral Transfer Paper, the glued method is quite a pain in the butt.

Cinderella and Lightning McQueen are next, for my niece and nephew.
Last edited by Jack Carving on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By pagemaster1993
I've seen those white Foamies but didn't really think they would help you see the pattern when the lights aren't on.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Never tried to cut through paper and foam with a versa tool. So I have no experience to share, but I'm glad you didn't burn the place down (although melted marshmallow sounds good). Stay Puft came out great! Nice idea to put him on the white pumpkin. You're off to a great start. If you decide you get sick of gluing and what to try transfer paper, the shop is always open. ;)
By sloaner
I have done about 5 foamies this year so far and I just tape the pattern on the kin and cut through with the versa tool. The only problem I have is when 2 lines are close together the paper kinda sticks and I have to peel it off with tweezers. I feel it saves time to just cut right through the paper. I may get around to posting some pics of them sometime soon.
By badgers
I've done about 15 or so over the past 2 years with the versa tool and glueing the paper on to the foam pumpkin. Never had any problems with either paper or foamie catching fire.

I have transfer paper but haven't used it yet. The glue method works great for me, I use Elmers Washable School Glue Stick "Disappearing Purple".
Cut out the pattern, cover the entire back with glue---since it's purple you can see your glue coverage.
Then put the pattern to the pumpkin and make any adjustments (smooth it out, wrinkles and all), give it a few minutes to dry.
Cut out your pattern with the versa tool ---- the only burns are the ones I've gotten by mishandling the tool, slight burn on the finger, one on the leg when I dropped the tool.
When done cutting, run warm water on the pumpkin and pattern and start to peel away the paper...and with a paper towel wash off the glue ---- it turns back to purple when it gets wet. Dry your pumpkin and light it up :D
By Jack Carving
Thanks for the great advice, I am starting to get the hang of this. Last minute change for my nephew's pumpkin, he wanted Batman instead.

I'm starting to get the hang of this. Although, these were done on the middle sized Michael's Pumpkins.. so I had to do a little photoshop work on the patterns to shrink them down so they'd fit. :)

I'm definitely having fun. The requests keep coming in it seems, my dad wants a Michael Myers, my oldest brother wants Grinch while the next oldest wants Jack Sparrow... So, I gotta wait a little longer before I can actually do some for myself. :cry:
Last edited by Jack Carving on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By sloaner
Great work jack. These things sure do add up tho, you'll soon have to dedicate a whole room in the house to store these things.
By Jack Carving
I was having a little trouble with the Gillman pattern just using the exacto-blade tool, the gills are tiny with a lot of smooth points (is that an oxymoron?).. but after taking a step away, and adjusting the short Versa-tool cord problem (extension cord for the win!), I was ready for round 2.

I guess I win :D

I think I might play around with some fonts and create some stencils to carve the names on the side.
By punchi
Great Job!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
You defeated that Black Lagoon creature, I'd say. That's a detailed pattern, if you can do that one, you can do any.
By Euri
That's it, I'm sold. I'll have to get a versa tool myself soon. I've always used a carving saw designed for foam kins, but it never left the kind of clean edge that I really liked.

NIce job on these! I bet it's hard to choose what to do next. Have you had any issues with the black line inside the kin or have you been removing that?