Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By keithk83
i believe they are hollow. the only thing you have to worry about is the black line in the Michael's pumpkins or the flaking paint on the funkins.
By Tkaraoke
Sometimes a Funkin's thickness can vary because sometimes the foam can build up in certin areas when it's molded. I really haven't had a problem with using cut-through patterns on Funkins but I can see where this can be an issue when doing a shaded one.
By CombichristGirl
when i did the shading i did in fact have to remove the "black line" i used my dremel with a sander bit :wink:
By The Captain
Mopar Man wrote:I'm going to try the foam variety this year. It'll be my first and was wanting some tips on gutting. Will the pumpkin gutter work?
After you have removed the top, very carefully turn it over and shake it, maybe a tap or two on the bottom, and viola its gutted. :P
By GUS
NOT that i've tried but the pumpkin gutter to thin the walls of a foam pumpkin sounds like a potential missing digit disaster waiting to happen...
By Euri
CombichristGirl wrote:when i did the shading i did in fact have to remove the "black line" i used my dremel with a sander bit :wink:
That cursed black line can be quite a distraction. I have tried using my dremel to remove this but didn't have great luck. I couldn't get it at the right angle to sand smoothly. Did you use a flex shaft? I'm thinking that might make all the difference.
By CombichristGirl
ive done both it does take much longer with the regular bits instead of the shaft but it can be done :lol:
By Tkaraoke
I hear that some people use a paint stripper attatched to a drill to get rid of the "black line of death". You should check Stoney's site for more details about carving foamies.
By Doh
Yup...3m paint stripper, a shaft extension and a drill will do the trick quick! Just be real careful!

Pumkins with black line.
Same pumpkin after about 1 minute with paint stripper.
By Euri
Nice! Looks like that takes care of it! That would certainly make it a two person job. :lol:

Until I get one of those I'll have to settle with the flex shaft. As long as I know that it will work, I don't mind spending the extra time on it. That's now of course, when it gets closer to Halloween time will be a big factor. :wink:

Does anyone know if the very smallest Michael's pumpkins have the black line in them?
By Doh
Only 1 person! Euri, I should know you...I live in North Logan.
By Doh
after removing the bottom of the pumpkin, I lay it on its side on the work table. I hold it with one hand on top and run the drill with the other hand. Withe the stripper disk and the drill on high speed it doesn't take much pressure. In fact if you pushed too hard it would go right through the pumpkin.