Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By The Vlad Hatter
I had two foam pumpkins out this year. I first stuck a small color changing thing inside them and they didn't light them up very well. I think pulled that out and threw three glow sticks in each and that also didn't do very well. I am trying to find a way to light them that doesn't require me to cut out the back.

Any suggestions on lighting these things?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Was the area you were displaying them fairly dark? The rainbow LED lights I sell aren't usually as bright as a real candle, but as long as it's reasonably dark, they seem to work well.
By The Vlad Hatter
It was ok, but not totally dark. We had to have the porch light and a light in the yard on, so kids would come up, but it was still reasonably dark.

I was pretty disappointed. I put the Frankenstien pattern on and was really looking forward to showing that one off and it just didn't go very well.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
So far, the rainbow lights seem to be the brightest thing I've found (aside from real flame). I saw a couple other types of LED lights in stores this year, so I picked them up to test them out, but they weren't as bright.

I'm always on the lookout for the brightest lights and best effects (as that is what I'd like to use and offer you guys in my shop) so if anyone finds something that surely trumps the Howler lights, do let me know.
By The Vlad Hatter
I suppose I will check out a hardware store and look for lights that aren't specifically created for pumpkins. I know I have a fairly small tent light for camping that puts off a good amount of light. Maybe something like that would work.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Sounds like a plan, just be careful of lights that heat up. Don't want to melt your pumpkins. :o

One good thing about LEDS is that they don't get hot and they don't use much power. I have some pumpkin lights that use small bulbs instead of LEDs and within a few hours they kill a set of batteries. Compared to the LED pumpkin lights which I often use all season long (and beyond) on the same set of batteries.

I don't mean to sound like I'm pushing the LED pumpkin lights. They just seem to be the easiest, safest and most practical. But if you're looking for pure brightness... continue the search and let us know if you come up with anything.
By The Vlad Hatter
I like LED lights as well and so long as they do the job, I will use them.
By SuperSonic
now note ive never done a foamie b4 but wouldnt it make sense to put the Howler/ LED light on the back of the pumpkin ( the wall so it projects outward just a thought
By GUS
Why_SoSerious_101 wrote:now note ive never done a foamie b4 but wouldnt it make sense to put the Howler/ LED light on the back of the pumpkin ( the wall so it projects outward just a thought
if you angle a howler up the side of a foam kin they tend to slip, you could use some polymer clay or similar to wedge it temporarily..

However when you cut a foam pumpkin, you need a hole in the base (generally) to clear out the chippings, unless you are going for a big frontal void, which would still cause problems when trying to retrieve the light!
By Rich D
I've been using battery operated tea lights that I bought at Michael's. They are led and even flicker like a candle.
By amandap80
A strand of C7 christmas lights on christmas light stakes in the ground. You can also substute orange, yellow or flicker bulbs. I only use 1 bulb per pumpkin, and line all my funkins up for the length of the string.
By Mistress_of_Halloween
amandap80 wrote:A strand of C7 christmas lights on christmas light stakes in the ground. You can also substute orange, yellow or flicker bulbs. I only use 1 bulb per pumpkin, and line all my funkins up for the length of the string.
I also use christmas lights when lighting my pumpkins. It allows me to turn them off and on with the flick of a switch.
By shutterbug
If you get the white Pumkins from Michaels, won't they light better than the orange?I'm going to get a couple & paint them flat black!They should be white inside...right?
That should make them light well with Ryan's lights...oh ya...gotta order more...J
By Ajax
I use one of these I find it works great for me, and it scares off prowlers.

By jollyoljake

These are what I use. I buy mine at Michaels in the christmas village section. Just cut a small hole, clip the sucker on and it works great!