Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
Im strange and that sound that stryofoam makes when you cut it or rub it... is like a knife in my temple to me. Do the fake ones make that noise? I dont even want to try to cut it open if that aweful noise will happen :oops:

I need a head for my scarecrow or Id just use a real pumpkin. Oh and its the one from Michaels
By ZPjames
I did the ones from Michael's and for the most part, it didn't make that sound. I did make that sound a few times when I reached thicker areas. If you use a Versa Tool (which I didn't) I don't think it will make that sound. But, like I said, it barely made that sound for me. It's not like styrofoam, but more of like that foam that you can get with posters (you have the flat flimsy cardboard poster and then the thick foam cardboard poster). Does that make any sense? :?
By Crystal
yeah that helps me alot. I was too afraid to touch it becuse that noise is murder to me. My lovely hubby likes to chase me around with that evil crap rubbing it together just to watch me freak out.
By CombichristGirl
Crystal wrote:yeah that helps me alot. I was too afraid to touch it becuse that noise is murder to me. My lovely hubby likes to chase me around with that evil crap rubbing it together just to watch me freak out.
thats funny but not.i would leave him alone in a room with zp but dont listen to the screaMS lol
By cyberdman
It depends on how you are cutting them. Depending on the pattern, if I'm shading I'll be using my Dremel and if I am doing fine lines of hole cutting, I get that sound sometimes. For the most part I do not hear it - almost not at all.

If I am jsut doing cut-throughs I'll be using sharp razor-knives and X-Actos and I never hear any noise from that.
By shutterbug
I've just done mt 3rd & I'm using the Versa tool...no sounds.That thing works GREAT!
By GUS
Crystal, I 'm the same as you with regards to Polystyrene, turns me into a wreck! ...I use funkins & have never had a scritchy-scratchy noise that's made me drop the foami & run out of the room!

speaking for funkins,, the foam is more like open cell insulation boards (which I also cut alot of) & is no problem whatsoever, it's nigh on silent.