Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By 500cdn
I Have Managed To Carve My Funkins But There Are Parts Where The Paint Was Very Thick And As A Result Have Chipped Off Leaving Lighter Colour Around The Carved Area See Pic

Does Anyone Know What Colour Paint Is Used For Touching Up These Areas
By Zombie Pumpkins!
That's a Funkin? Looks much thinner than the Funkins I've carved. Boy, they seem to have a lot of variation in quality. Maybe it depends when the Funkin was made, by whom, and where it was sold?

I've seen all sorts of different paint jobs too. I have 4 Funkins sitting next to me, and all have totally different paint. One has a matte finish, one is slightly glossy, and a couple of them have a bit of a speckle paint job. So you may have a hard time matching paint color if Funkins doesn't have a "standard" color.
By GUS
I'm guessing you didn't make a paint breaking line to prevent anything untowards happening, with funkins always go round the pattern with a scalpel in order to prevent mass breakout of paint chipping away!
Did you carve straight into it without first making an impression?

Never had this problem, but if I waded in I would have.
funkins are not like a regular pumpkin.
By 500cdn
GUS wrote:I'm guessing you didn't make a paint breaking line to prevent anything untowards happening
You Are Guessing Right
GUS wrote:Did you carve straight into it without first making an impression?
Yes

As These Was My Firsts Attempts I Thought I Would Do A Bit Of Trial And Error

The Finished Carving Looks Great I Will Get Some Pictures Up Shortly
By 500cdn
zombiepumpkins wrote:That's a Funkin? Looks much thinner than the Funkins I've carved.
Yes I Was Quite Surprised The First One Carved Was About 2 to 3cm Thick
This One Was Only About 1cm
zombiepumpkins wrote:I've seen all sorts of different paint jobs too.
Think I Will Go To My Local Paint Shop And Get A Colour Comparison Card And See If I Can Match It Up
By GUS
Take it into an art store (or a WHSmiths) look around their paints, acrylic variety??

time to get a wee paintbrush & after you've banged a few layers around the cracklie bits (or chipped/ fell on the floor in a lump) then try drybrush technique on the pumpkin butt cracks / crevices... wipe on wipe off (nearly all of it!
..make it a less than perfect aged kin!

..to avoid this in future a few £1.00 B&Q aluminium correct ENGLISH! scalpel set's ll be a good addition to your pumpkin saws & prevent all but the worst leverage induced paint removal! :wink:
By GUS
That looks like a fieldspar paint job yes?

They do have thin walls (which is good) compared to the likes of lumina queen variety (as I recall) ..perfects can be quite thick on places too, fieldspars are one of my favourites!

..what are you lighting up with?

& if you haven't already got one get an (as sold here ZP carving saw, they rock!
By 500cdn
GUS wrote:That looks like a fieldspar paint job yes?
It Is A Perfect GUS

By 500cdn
GUS wrote:
..what are you lighting up with?
I Am Going To Using Battery Operated Tea Lights

There Is One Inside This Carving

By CombichristGirl
good work on all those. i hate when chips happen. i have cut down on that by using my dremel. not completely but drastically reduced.
By GUS
500cdn wrote:
GUS wrote:That looks like a fieldspar paint job yes?
It Is A Perfect GUS

Yes, I coulsdn't recall, I think on my latest batch they must have been finishing off a load of fieldspar paint on perfects as I have some darker orange ones too, easire to match up piant wise though!