Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By Tkaraoke
Does anybody have a good FAQ or tutorial on how to use a Dremel to carve multi layered patterns? I really want to get into this but I really have no idea where to start or what kind of Dremel drill bits/tips I'm going to need to accomplish this.
By Pumpkingrower
I don't have an exact tutorial I just know that it takes a little figuring out and it all depends on the thickness of the P'kin that you are carving the micheal kins are thin and funkins are a bit thicker. The funkins do allow greater difference in levels but also it takes so much more carving to allow light to shine through.

I use two different size "F's" to draw my lines and fill out the lines and
remove large areas with "C and D". Its worth it in the end and of course you know it lasts year after year. I suggest a dust mask of some kind too.
By 2manyferrets
I use dremel bits #106, #107 for shading. I smooth it out with #405

405 wears out real quick so you have to be real careful. I also use a 1/32" for cut through. But be gentle its tiny!

1/32"

That pic was taken awhile back next to the phone for size reference. :lol:
By Euri
I know this guy who does these AMAZING carved foam pumpkins. I don't have any pictures, but he teaches pumpkin carving at a local Michael's. His webpage, http://pumpkinpage.com/carving.htm has details on how he does his carving complete with a comparison between the funkin and the Michael's version.

I also know this other guy who does great work on foamies. He has a hole cut in his work bench to rest the pumpkin. Then he inserts a light and a vacuum inside to light it and suck up all the dust. If only I had a spare room in my house or extra space in my garage.... :lol:

Now my question that I'm throwing out here... I just *heart* my pumpkin gutter (thank you Ryan for offering it here!) and I'm wondering if anyone has tried to remove the black line inside a pumpkin with this?
By St0ney
Euri wrote: I'm wondering if anyone has tried to remove the black line inside a pumpkin with this?

Nope (don't do it): You'll dull the blades, and ruin the kin.

I use a Paint stripper wheel:

with an extension Rod on a regular (corded or cordless) Drill.

Both can be bought at home depot or lowes.

Not my photo but you'll get the idea.

The BBQ was used to prop up the drill for the photo.
unless of course your hungry, it has other uses.

This process will only take about 30 seconds to remove the,
"The Dreaded Black Line"

St0ney