Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By CombichristGirl
i know i cant wait to get one not sure if i will have one before halloween but i will for next years stuff fo sho
By DLapi
I have used the Michael's foam pumpkins for several years. I have about 20 of them now. If you pack them away carefully, they will last for years. Each year I add about 3 more.

What I do is cut a small round hole either on the back or on the bottom of the pumpkin. The location depends on what the pattern or template is that I am carving.

I use the small electric light bulbs that fit inside of the small lighted Christmas or Halloween Village buildings...like Dept 56 houses. They use a very low wattage bulb and come on a 3-6 foot cord. They don't get hot, so they don't burn or melt the foam pumpkin. They have a clip near the bulb. I cut the hole small enough so that the clip on the light cord fits snugly in the cut hole. You can even find the light cords that light up to 6 houses...or pumpkins...with one plug!

I try to cut the hole so that the bulb is not visible when looking at the lit pumpkin. Happy Carving :D
By DLapi
Pencil and pen marks....yuck! I tried something different and it works great.

After you punch the holes in your pattern and remove it, sometimes, depending on the pattern, the holes are so close you really can't see the lines. Take a little bit of flour, and wipe it over the holes. They will jump right out at you and you won't believe how easy it will be to "see" your pattern!

Any left over flour can easily be cleaned up with a paper towel, or slightly damp rag.

Happy Carving :idea:
By ZPjames
I just finished my first foam pumpkin (well last night). I did Patrick so it wouldn't be hard the first time and I could see what I need to improve on and so on. But anyways, it was pretty easy. I didn't use a versa tool. I just used an exacto knife and it did pretty well. It turned out pretty good. Now, I just need to get some more.
By scbadboy
yeah the versa tool rocks, and the pumpkin actually has a bit of scent to it when you melt it, but its not like the normal melted foam scent
By Dr. Frybrain
filmczy wrote:was wondering if anyone had a quick way of removing ball-point pen marks used for drawing the pattern.
Hairspray removes ball point pen ink. Spray it on heavy, and wipe with a paper towel while it's still wet.
By hkzombie
all this talking about foamies is driving me crazy! Im stuck at work and don't get off til 6pm... maybe I should start one now so I can warmed up?!
By Bubb Zombie
I've carved Michael's foam pumpkins for years, but this year the batch of 10 I got the other day have a HORRIBLE chemical smell once carved, which I don't remember in the past occurring. Anyone else notice this?
By snow2alike
Yeah Bubb Zombie, I thought it was just my nose. The smell is stronger in some and not there at all in others. It is a sweet fruity rotten gassey smell ----- ????
By sloaner
I just ot 5 today, I hope they dont smell too bad.
By punchi
Is it just me, or do they seem thicker and tougher this year? It could be my versa tool though, since my husband used it to modify the car dash...he might owe me a new one, lol.
By sloaner
I carved 2 last night (homer and Ironman) and they seem to be the same as last years.
By Racer-X
I'm trying to figure out the various differences between the foamies that are for sale these days.

I was looking at the ones I bought at Michaels last year, and they were Gemmys. I'm not sure, but is that the same they have this year? I was at Garden Ridge, and their gemmys looked different than the ones at Michaels.

Funkins I like because they look more realistic, but the versa tool (HUGE convert, btw) has more issues with carving them. It can still be done, but requires more work with the Xacto at times, plus my poker-outer.
By sloaner
I got 4 more on the weekend but they only had white, so now I have to spray paint them orange.
By SuperSonic
Any tips on how to be carefull with the versa when carving ??? Is it the same as using a ZP pro tool on a real kin? (In and out thrusts) Or do you insert the knife at a certain depth and just trace down?