Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By Hottie McNaughty
Ok, so I think I need a bit of help. I bought the versa tool (not the same brand but it looked like the same thing at half the price) and used it last night. It seemed to be working well but then it seemed to melt some of the outside paint layer of the foamie while I was carving....like it kind of bubbled away form the cut. Luckily it was a white 'kin so it didn't show and is still very much usable. If it had been an orange one it would have made a mess.

Did I do something wrong?
By Hottie McNaughty
zombiepumpkins wrote:Check out this thread, about the paint issue that is new this year, with Michael's pumpkins:

http://www.zombiepumpkins.com/forum/vie ... php?t=4226
Ah, thank you! I thought for sure it was going to be my fault. :lol: I didn't have any issues with the paint peeling using just the x-acto knife so I'll continue using that instead.
By sloaner
SuperSonic wrote:Any tips on how to be carefull with the versa when carving ??? Is it the same as using a ZP pro tool on a real kin? (In and out thrusts) Or do you insert the knife at a certain depth and just trace down?
Hey sonic I just insert slowly and trace the lines. I find it easier to continue to insert the knife as I trace but dont go all the way to the bottom, the butt end of the versa tool will burn the crap outta the orange paint. Also if you are doing a curved line try not to use alot of the blade as its thiner at the tip and can turn on a smaller radius. Hope that helps.
By MIKECOZ8
Went to Michael's today Long Island area and all the foam pumpkins are 60% off
By suzika
I just carved my first foamies ever. I carved Patch Master into a large foamie and the foamie shredded and chipped and annoyed the hell out of me. The lines are not sharp at all. (I used an x-acto knife)

Then I grabbed a small one and carved an old PM face into it. The lines are much sharper and it was so much easier to carve. I wish I had bought all small ones, I have two more small ones(one black, one white) and two large ones left. The large ones may wait until after halloween as I don't know if my hands can take another couple large ones on top of all the real pumpkins sitting on my porch and deck.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Suzika, were these the foamies from Michaels? I just carved a small black one, and it was smooth as silk (with a versa tool blade). But I've yet to tackle one of their larger ones from this year (I have 2). I hope I don't suffer any chipping or peeling paint.
By sloaner
All my new ones from this year did not chip or flake using the versa tool.
By suzika
Yes, Ryan, these were from Michael's. The small white and orange were fine, large orange sucked and my black small one had bad paint peelage. I saw that you had no issue with your small black one, though. I am buying a versa tool for next year.
By RandomGuy
The makers of the Versa Tool have a new tool for 14.99 that I saw at my local craft store - called a Hot Knife. Basically, the same exact tool with two of the knife blades and none of the other wood burning tips.

My blade had been destroyed by foamie abuse last year so I picked it up. Works well and seems interchangeable with the versa tool tips.

I also carved a variety of Michael's foamkins this year, but have had no bad results. I carved a small black one, a large white one and 3 large orange. No noticeable paint peeling.

I did notice that the shaded portion of the foamkin was not letting as much light through. Maybe I just need new batteries in my light.
By suzika
I had a friend who bought a couple of the Michael's pumpkins and had the same issues. I wonder if it was a storage issue from the local Michael's? Or if they got a bad batch. I really am curious, now.
By wookie66
I carved 5 large foam pumpkins from Michaels this year using an x acto knife and all the lines are sharp. Thats weird that your pumpkins would chip like that. Plus at Michaels right now all the large foam pumpkins are only $3.99 right now, picked up 5 more yesterday.
By suzika
Ohh, i need to hit Michael's to see if they have anymore of them. Chipping or not, I like being able to carve throughout the year.