Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By Innuendo
Wondering if anyone has left a Micheal's pumpkin outside for a long period of time? Need to know if it will fade, discolour and stand up to hot temperatures or even cold temps. Reason for asking... I just finished making a bunch of Tiki pumpkins and want to display them in the garden. Found some great lights that work on remote control, so I really want to keep them out without bringing them in all the time.
Any help would be appreciated....
By Raven
I would really expect that they would fade, although how quickly I don't know. I've kept mine in a very hot attic before and it did fine, but not in direct sunlight. Another concern is little creature like mice might be tempted to tear apart the foam to make nests with. Where I live the raccoons and possums would carry them off to parts unknown.. :)
By amandap80
They make a UV protectant spray (I think 3M) that would reduce fading. I have had my Michael's pumpkins in the sun for up to 4 days without issue, but this was in the fall.
By chuckwagon
I had the same question a while back in regards to heat because the foam under the skin seemed to discolor and fade after being packed away in my attic. The skin was fine though. As for the sunlight effecting it, I agree with the UV protection spray... I've tried that stuff on painted bird houses and flower pots before and it really seemed to help. It's possible that it might work in the same way for the foam underneath the skin layer just for the simple fact that it wouldn't be totally exposed to the elements as bad. It's hard to battle against mother nature though.
By St0ney
Innuendo wrote:Wondering if anyone has left a Micheal's pumpkin outside for a long period of time? Need to know if it will fade, discolour and stand up to hot temperatures or even cold temps. Reason for asking... I just finished making a bunch of Tiki pumpkins and want to display them in the garden. Found some great lights that work on remote control, so I really want to keep them out without bringing them in all the time.
Any help would be appreciated....
I've had them displayed outside for over a month when I carved at a farm in PA.

The day's were Hot - Like 80 to 100 degrees, Morning's were Ice cold Frost on everything.
Foam Pumpkins still looked great after being out there for a month, including rainy days.