Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By pumpkinautopsy
So my TimeHop shows that this time last year was when Micheals and Hobby Lobby began stocking their 'Kins. Can anyone confirm or deny that as of this week?
By Minionette
I haven't seen them at Michaels yet, but they are clearing floor space for the next season. Shouldn't be too much longer.
By pumpkinautopsy
my Micheals now has pumpkins. Looks like the Gemmys were are rebranded this year.

Also, the Gemmys are available in "halves" now. Looks like you can hang them too. I'll definitely do one for the front door this year.
By pagemaster1993
pumpkinautopsy wrote:my Micheals now has pumpkins. Looks like the Gemmys were are rebranded this year.

Also, the Gemmys are available in "halves" now. Looks like you can hang them too. I'll definitely do one for the front door this year.
Halves? Like one of those plastic Jack-O'-Lanterns that you hang over a porch light?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Interesting. I'll have to check out this year's batch of Gemmys and these half pumpkins you speak of. I checked my local Michaels yesterday (July 17) and they didn't have any pumpkins out yet. But they did have one aisle end cap with some Halloween items (potion bottles and spell books). It's creeping into stores.

I also stopped at A.C. Moore on July 17. I hear they've had their Halloween stuff out for a little while already. Indeed, they have several aisles of the spooky goods. I even made my first Halloween purchase of the year. As for pumpkins, they had a good supply of Funkins in several sizes.
By OldTrustyLegs
I was just about to post this in the Shopping section, but I thought I'd check here first. I took pictures of the halves today:

They've got them in white, black, and orange. They also have whole pumpkins in both shiny and flat black this year. The flat black would be pretty rockin' for the Johnny Cash pattern.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Thanks for the pics of the half-kin, OldTrustyLegs. Yeah, once we have more posts rolling in on these topics, I may split them off... maybe merge some posts into new topics specific to a certain brand of foam pumpkin. Or by what's available at a certain store. And split shopping advice from actual carving advice. But for now, keep the info coming in, wherever you see fit.

These half-fins seem like an interesting idea. Even has a hole in the back of the stem to hang on a nail. Looks like there's a little flat spot on the inside bottom to (hopefully) allow placing a small LED light, if you want to light up a carved design before hanging on a wall. I'm sure electrical cords can be attached by creative folks. Or place over a small wall sconce. Or just paint the surface and hang it up. Adds a lot of options to our display options.
By pagemaster1993
That is odd, but interesting. Could have many uses. However not much of a price difference from a whole one.
I can't wait to see these halves in person. Some very interesting things you can do with these. I love the idea of hanging them on the front door or wall.

I can envision the walls being covered in these. I doubt my wife can envision that though! :D

Anyone know how much these are selling for?
By ferretrick
Went to Michael's...not sure how much the halves were, but the wholes were pretty damn expensive. $30 for the large size, I think $20 for a medium. True, Michael's has generous coupons or sales all the time, but I think that's still pretty steep.

BTW, I get Michael's coupons on the Shopular app. That way all I have to do is show my phone when I check out.
pumpkinautopsy wrote:The full-size halves were $14.99 I believe. You're looking at $9.00 with 40% coupons they usually have.
Thanks for the info. Not a bad price at all with the coupons, and definitely worth picking a couple up and giving them a try.
By pagemaster1993
I wasn't even considering coupons. I too now could see a wall covered in glowing Jack-O'-Lantern halves.
By YoshioKun13
It's true!

I was at my local Michaels store yesterday and, there they were all piled up sitting in the wire bins. Looks like just the traditional soft Gemmys for both the large 13" and smaller sizes, none of those cheap plastic-y kind they've stocked the last couple years that I have seen. No idea if they have the ridges on the inside or not though, probably.

I didn't see those half style ones, perhaps I missed that section. Never seen them before, how peculiar.....I don't like 'em.

But then again I'm so used to carving out the normal full-sized 'kins. :)

I also went to JO-ANN and they have their variety of Funkins for sale now too. Haven't checked HOBBY LOBBY yet but I will probably stop by there sometime today.