Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
By Ajax
I usually get mine about two weeks before Halloween. Does anyone get them earlier? Do they last till the big day?
By purple1worm
A week or so before. They usually last, but it's pretty cold here in the fall. If I see they are starting to cave a bit. Drop them in a bath of cold water for 10 minutes to revive.
By monstermash
Im never sure when to get mine. If i get them early will they rot before carved? If i get them 3-4 days before the big day all the good ones have gone. Does anyone know how long an uncarved pupkin will last?? I would love to know.
By badgers
I've gotten mine the first week of October at times, only had one rot. But most of the time I get them 3 weeks before the big day.
By monstermash
Thanks badgers, i think i will do that too. And keep them in my shed where its nice and cool.
By monstermash
Shame on you Killer Klown you let those zombie pumpkins loose on the unsuspecting vegetable patches. Think of the damage they must have done!!
They only way to stop them is to CARVE!! :lol:
By SaneInsideInsanity
I normally pick mine up the first week or 2 of October i put them in my basement on newspaper and cover them with a sheet. I"ve never lost any but i may have just jinxed myself.
Be careful about keeping in the shed we used to do that when i lived at home and unexpected frost 2 days before Halloween ruined them all.
By CombichristGirl
i just picked up 6 so we shall see how well they last here in ohio lol
By Raven
I start buying mine as soon as I see them for sale. I usually just keep them on the step outside and move them around if it rains so the bottoms don't stay wet. I carve through the month, but the ones I save till Halloween do just fine. My only problem is the raccoons sometimes like to roll them down the driveway so I usually end up hunting for a missing one. :o
By Joey
I'm not sure since I tend to carve something every weekend in October to display out my window. But I know that at least here in southern California they keep really well, I've had pumpkin lingering until March or so before they start to rot.
By mesmark
I get mine in early September. A few will rot if it's a warm year, but there's not much choice. There are very few pumpkins and it seems more and more carvers or more and more places getting into Halloween. If I don't pick them up now, they'll be gone before Oct.

I keep them in my garage on newspaper, no sheet over them.

Let's hope it stays cool and they all last ...
By SuperSonic
i tend to get some good sizez down here in my part of ontario and i usually get them a week or so before they dont tend to rot before then i carve them at around the same time and keep`m in my garage or my shed either one works but if i carve them without putting a tarp on them if i choose to store them outside they get `potatoe` bugs :x
By Ajax
Thanks for the info guys I guess i'll stick with my 3 weeks before hand. Where I am at they are pretty easy to get, but you have to get the nicer ones earlier I may carve more this year throughout the month so maybe i'll pick some up soon. I was thinking of doing one for halloween.