Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
By Dans banana Loafcake
Hey guys, while waiting for Ryan and his amazing stencils to arrive back on the scene I had a little dabble into doing my own stencils. Unfortunately for you guys ( i.e. all the yanks) I chose to do stencils of Monkey! This 70's cult Japanese series was shown here in Britain but I don’t think it was over there (I may be wrong). It was about a monkey, pig and fish spirit taking a Buddhist monk from china to India. I was so camp and hammed up but totally cool.

Anyway, here are my Melons/Pumpkins. Oh and the last one isn't from monkey... its Beetlejuice but I thought I'd show it too.

Dan
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Wow, Dan! :shock: We have another stencil artist in our midst. I'm not familiar with Monkey at all, but that sure looks like some brilliant work. Can I pretend I had a little something to do with that, by offering some stenciling tips to you in the past? :P
By Dans banana Loafcake
Thanks Ryan that means a hell of a lot to me. You’re like a Yoda to my Luke dude. :D Cheesy I know. :oops:

Yeah as you can tell and we've spoken before, I 'borrowed' your hair technique. Hope you still don’t mind.

I've done a couple of my friends but have yet to carve them. I want to do a fair few more stencils of my friends before the party as I think it will a) make them go “wow, it’s me!!” or b) freak them out. Either way is desirable.
:lol: :lol:

Dan

P.S. You should look Monkey up, I dont know why but something tells me you'd like it.
Last edited by Dans banana Loafcake on Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Tkaraoke
Woah! I don't know who those characters are (besides The Juicester) but those carvings are excellent! I wish I had enough talent to do something like that!
By Dans banana Loafcake
I'm sure Ryan, JP and everyone who's on here will tell you its all about geting the right image to work from.

My approch is very low tech, I draw a rough version first and then use tracing paper to get the rough outline, then I look at the image and the sketch together and see where the dark and light partches are. If you've got the right image it should be easier. Its also a bit of judgement sometimes and a bit of luck.....no a lot of luck. Then I scan it into the computer and draw around it and neaten it up in Illustrator.

Anyway look at me as if I know what I'm on about, Ryans got tons of stencils and I'm only just starting it as a hobby. I'd love to do what Ryan and JP do, living the dream! But real life for me gets in the way so I doubt there'll be a www.DansPumpkinloafcake.com for a very very long time, if ever. :cry:

Oh I just realise this is my 100 post, I'm a fully fledged Pumpkin now! Yhey!!!! :D :D
By Joey
I must say, those are really awesome. I have no talent for making the traditional stencils. The watermelons and the pictures lined up like that makes it really cool.
By Mister_JP
Dan, those are great! Like most here, I'm unfamiliar with the Monkey charictors, but they look like dead ringers from the reference photos.

My technique is similar, except I tend to "sketch" using Adobe Illustrator. For me, maybe 1 out of 4 (or less) actually get started by putting pen to paper. Once the major light and shadow sections are drawn, some creative connections sometimes need to be made. But depending on the reference pic, that may have already been done for me.

I also have attempted Beetlejuice, but I never got it to the point where I'd offer it as a stencil. It was one of those that "just didn't look right" and I never went back and fixed it. Perhaps its time to revisit that one?
By Liderc
Very nice, definently have some talent.
By sodajazz
lovin the Monkey stencils ...we were brought up on monkey magic ....ha just reminded me... Tripitaka...

What a blast.... for those who have never heard of Monkey it has got to be the most crappily dubbed japanese programme ever ...but its a cult classic :lol:

care to share patterns Dan :wink:
By Tkaraoke
One of the things I really love about the Beetlejuice pattern is that the hair looks fantastic! It looks exactly like the scene I was talking about a week ago where he says, "It's Showtime!" and cocks his head to the side.

You are the man, Dan!
By Dans banana Loafcake
sodajazz wrote:lovin the Monkey stencils ...we were brought up on monkey magic ....ha just reminded me... Tripitaka...
Yeah I tried doing Tripitaka but it just didn't look right (for those of you who dont know, he or should I say she, or he.... well anyway it was the Buddhist monk that went with them to India. It was a boy character played by a girl!) I might try to do Dragon from the 2nd series too. Everyone in the US needs to Google Monkey (try monkey magic), everything about t is cool and crap at the same time.

Thanks Tkaraoke, thats the exact scene it was taken from. The hair thing isn't so much my doing. If you read the posts above you'll see that Ryan gave me a few tip for my Avatar stencil (i.e the one of myself) and I 'borrowed' his hair technique. So I cant relly take credit for that as such.

Dan
By vaderknightrider
I'm trying some stencils of my own, but I'm keeping them limited to Darth Vader and Knight Rider. Hey, Ryan deserves to have fun with everything else life has to offer a pumpkin guru. :D :D :D