Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
By Tkaraoke
I don't know how I managed to keep myself in frame for that shot. I did it by myself at like 3am and it came out awesome. It's actually now the background for my iPhone! LOL
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Quality over quantity, you did plenty of carves and they came out great. Can't overdue the coffee and work your fingers to the bone (believe me, I know). I like you shading choices, with all the lit up character eyes. Great effect. The pic of you with the minion is classic too. But which is which? :P
By Lithium_joe
I've decided Vinz Clortho looks better as a shaded design than carved. The lit-up eyes are really creepy!
By hkzombie
They all look great! I love the minion, very cute! Do you prefer one technique over the other? Didn't really get a chance to do some shading, I had a crappy v-cutter that came with a tools set, wasn't sharp and lethal enough to do some creative damage haha
By Tkaraoke
hkzombie wrote:Do you prefer one technique over the other? Didn't really get a chance to do some shading, I had a crappy v-cutter that came with a tools set, wasn't sharp and lethal enough to do some creative damage haha
First of all, I'd like to thank you all for your kind comments but to be totally honest, I am no shading superstar. I feel anybody can get this quality of pumpkins by having the right equipment...

1) A kick ass pattern
2) Saral Transfer Paper
3) A very good carving set aka Zombie Pumpkin Carving Set (sadly, retired) & Speedball Lino knife.
4) An attitude that says FEAR NO PUMPKIN PATTEN

Having all four of these (I think) are critical..especially the last one. I really love the cut out style of patterns but I always felt that some patterns could be enhanced. Vince Clortho and PvsZ are prime examples of taking that pattern to another level by shading/cutting through. For me, I think the biggest advantage of shading a pattern is that you don't have to worry about the pattern breaking when you try to take small pieces out. That's the most stressful part of pumpkin carving (in my opinion) and it's not a problem with shading.

I still love cut through patterns but being able to enhance (an already awesome pattern) is where I think it's at.