Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
By mesmark
I went down to the patch and harvested. I've got eleven pumpkins in all. I'll probably buy a few small regular pumpkins because they're easy to carve.

I have to put them on my balcony because it's the only place that I have that doesn't get too much sun. So I had to haul them through the house. Then I'll haul them back outside to be carved before Halloween.

I was a little tired.

The biggon is 79.6 lb and his little brother is 68.2 :shock:
By Tkaraoke
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Man, those are some huge puppies! Do you have some special plans for them? One of the local farms I was planning on visiting for real pumpkins doesn't open to the public for another week (September 8th) so I'm stuck with Funkins for now.

I wonder how long pumpkins can survive off the vine before they cannot be carved. I wonder if you could turn it upside down in a tub of water (just the stem) to make it last longer.
By mesmark
I have a farmer friend who grows them just for me. The last 2 years we have picked them in mid August and I generally lose 1 or 2 before Halloween but I carve them anyway. My avatar is a pumpkin that was rotting (quite fitting) and I had to carve it in the first or second week of Oct.

They usually do OK. Luckily the weather is already quite cool. Hopefully it stays that way.
By mesmark
This year the big ones are really nice as far as shape. Last year the big one was a squatty fella and I did the pumpkin king to him. Since I have 2 this year, I'm not sure yet what I'll do. but the meat is probably 6 inches thick, so nothing too difficult.

I'm going to wait and see what Ryan has in store for this season. I know I'm going to do the patch master but probably not in the big ones.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I am impressed, mesmark. :shock: I hope I can come up with fitting designs to help you zombify those monsters!
By Mister_JP
Great gourds, Batman! I need to start a friendship with a pumpkin farmer. Those rule.

One year I managed to pick up a huge one around 70lbs for like 10 bucks. The stoew I worked at was trying to sell it for $40, but nobody bought it, I offered the produce guy 10 for it on Halloween, and he let me have it. My sister carved one of the Pumpkin Masters patterns of a witch on it. Turned out really cool.
By Pumpkingrower
In effort to get a few more pounds on my current harvest I checked out some sites and I ran across this today.

http://www.pumpkingrowingtips.com/harvesting.htm

I know we all don't have optimum storage areas but it offers a few tips for early pumpkin picking. :|
By Tkaraoke
Pumpkingrower wrote: I know we all don't have optimum storage areas but it offers a few tips for early pumpkin picking. :|
Great information, Pg. I didn't realize that when pumpkins reach maturity the vines die and the pumpkins begin their journey to become zombie pmpkins. I have 4 more days before that farm opens up near my house. We haven't had a lot of rain this summer but (according to one of the farmers there who I've been in contact via email) the pumpkins are hanging on. I really wanted to help support the local farmers here in our area instead of just strolling down to the Walmart to pick one up. Well, that and plus last year (when I went to a pumpkin/flower/veggie stand) they wanted like $20 for a pumpkin the perfect size to put one of ZP designs on. That was the scariest part of Halloween last year.