Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
By sodajazz
im in ............ just after i've stuffed this bar of chocolate in :D
done ...starting ...............now

i'm hungry now...........how much longer will i suffer :shock:
By mesmark
I promise to be hungry between meals until ALL the pictures are up!
By mesmark
Yeah, there's not a whole lot I'd really go hungry for :D

Maybe a no smoking campain. I swear that I won't have a cigarette until all the pictures are posted.

I'm pretty sure I can guess what's going on. Probably...
1. There are way too many pictures and Ryans having a tough time sorting them all, resizing them and getting them on the site
2. He's dreading doing this every year and knows next year may be double :shock:
3. He's trying to come up with some other plan than posting the pictures himself or paying somone to do it.

If it were me, I'd let the members post their pictures in the forums and then move them to their own forum subheading and call that the photogallery.

Then, from there, choose the winners for the contests and just post the contest winners separately.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
You can eat now! All the 2005 pictures are up in the gallery.

Mesmark pretty much hit the nail on the head with his explanation. When people submit their pictures, I get JPGs, GIFs, TIFs, PNGs, and some file formats I can't even read. Often times they'll email me dozens of photos. Duplicate pictures. Massive image resolutions. Even embedded into Word docs and Power Point slide shows. Off-center or far-in-the-distance pumpkins. Over-lit and under-lit pumpkins. And the classic image in the corner with tons of white space, when someone scans their full scanner bed.

I wouldn't say I "dread doing this every year" because I honestly LOVE seeing all your photos. It's the big reward, to see all my hard work getting used on so many pumpkins. All the creativity and passion. Some of these submissions blow me away. You people love your pumpkin carving!

But yes... sorting thousands of photos, cropping them, adjusting them, resizing them, uploading then and typing captions for all of them does take some time and can be tedious work. Plus, I had a lot going on in my life outside the pumpkin patch in the last several months.

However, the wait is over. If you submitted photos and didn't see them in the gallery (and get an email from me) then feel free to resend and we'll make sure you get your 15 minutes of fame.

For this upcoming season, we hope to play with some new methods of photo submission. And I plan to work on a tutorial page to explain the basics of photography (composition, lighting) as well as a step-by-step on how to crop and resize your own photos. Hopefully that will streamline the whole process.

Now... to browse all the submissions and pick the contest winners. :shock:
By Dadja
There are dynamic photogalleries, like 4images: http://www.4homepages.de/ We use this on th AKF-board. People ca n just put pictures in it themselves. You can make it that pictures get automatically resized and thumbnailed, might save you a lot of work... Instead of spending your time doing all the work yourself you just have to keep the gallery clean from any crap people try to post, but you can make it so no picture is added to the gallery unless it has you permission... It even has a voting system and you can add comments... Just a thought
By sodajazz
hi all
just returned from florida all disneyed out now
ryan looks like youve worked hard

mesmark ..best place to go if you want to give up smoking is florida
soooo many places you cant smoke ..............felt like i was a naughty school girl hiding round corners for a quick cig

note to ryan ..........as you have been very busy sorting out the pics for the gallery and now you have to decide who will be the 2005 winner i thought to help you and relive some of the pressure i would be willing to accept the prize :wink: That way you would have more time for your other ventures :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D