Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
By S.A.M
It started on Friday the 13th October, I couldn't let the day pass without carving this Jason.
This pumpkin had started to rot and I think it worked out well with the pattern; it looks like mushy brains about to leak out;

Carving proper started today for Halloween! I'm feeling a classic vibe this year;

I think I need to get some shading tools, I did the Halloween lettering using a scalpel and small screwdriver to dig it all out. I like putting the logo on pumpkins like this; kind of makes them look like movie posters :lol:

Hope you're all enjoying the carving season, I'm loving it :love:
shaft28, Lithium_joe, Jackoman and 1 others liked this
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Jason looks fitting with the rot. And it's appropriate to pose him with the video game. They released this same "Part 4: Final Chapter" version of Jason as a character in their game that day.

I'm in agreement on the logos, they totally make it look like a graphic poster. With the letters tipped on their site, it looks interesting and fits next to the main design nicely (without having to wrap around the back).

Your carves and photos are always classic... even more so with the classic themes you're carving. Iconic horror killers and Halloween creatures.
By nosferatu
Love that blue lighting on your pics. Beautifully crafted.

No need to mention the quality of the carves.Always impeccable
Those carves are so good, and I too love the titles on the sides like you have them. If you find a better way to shade let me know because I do the exact same thing you do. Cut them with an exacts knife, then use a small screwdriver to take the top layer off. It takes forever. Took me 3 1/2 hours to do one the other night.
By S.A.M
Thanks for your kind comments guys, I know I don't have the props, imagination or time to stage the photos like some of you but your comments give me a nice little boost to carry on :D Nice to see you again nosferatu, are you carving this year?
Ajax wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:17 pm
will they last??? They look awesome.
I hope so Ajax! They have done in previous years apart from last year when it was really warm and they turned a bit mushy by Halloween. This year though it's much more like normal October temps so that keeps my shed nice and chilled.
Mayor of Haddonfield wrote:Those carves are so good, and I too love the titles on the sides like you have them. If you find a better way to shade let me know because I do the exact same thing you do. Cut them with an exacts knife, then use a small screwdriver to take the top layer off. It takes forever. Took me 3 1/2 hours to do one the other night.
A little thing I do to make things easier is to mark the knife blade half depth of your pumpkin (once thinned) so that every shading cut is the same depth;

And it seems to make getting the pieces out much easier, I use these small jewellers screwdrivers too which are sharp and chiselled :

I've also tried using these but for lettering they're not much good perhaps for full shaded patterns they would be:
By S.A.M
Pumpkinfreak , DeadKing and mesmark thanks for the kind comments :) mark I gave up on trying to stage the photos with props, I mean I do the same with the stairs every year :lol: I do appreciate those who take the time to stage them with props and settings 'cos I know how much time it takes to set it all up. I never seem to have the time :?

Today's carvings. I made a few m̶i̶s̶t̶a̶k̶e̶s̶ happy accidents as Bob Ross would say. I took on more than I could handle with the shading of logos. I was getting all kinds of back ache and wrist cramps by the time it came to doing the logo. I managed to shade the F & R but I abandoned it and cut through the rest in a rush. I'd still be doing it if I didn't. It also put me off attempting the Nightmare on Elm St logo :cry: Ran out of patience to be honest and that's when it's time to call quits for the night.

Anyway here's what I carved:

The clocks go back an hour here tonight so maybe I'll get time to add the logo to Freddy tomorrow with that extra hour :lol: it doesn't look like an easy one to copy though. I had to do Snoopy as The Great Pumpkin, it's not well known over here but after watching it on YouTube for the first time last year I feel in love with it.

Worry Wart is my favourite though, that style makes her look straight from a cartoon, would love some more traditional Halloween figures in that style if you're reading this Ryan :wink:

If you have been, thanks for reading :thumbsup:
Again, these are great! I started laughing when I saw your tools because those are the EXACT same screwdrivers I use to shade mine! :lol:
By Ajax
Very nice! Your starting to make me nervous about my 10 -15 I'm starting tomorrow into Monday. Gut tomorrow carve Monday. I know if I added the titles I wouldn't make it. There's a lot of detail to lettering cut through or shading but it looks awesome.
By nosferatu
No, I'm not carving this year at all. I am experiencing Halloween vicariously through forum members.

I always love your photos. Lighting a display is such a difficult technical task but you have mastered it effortlessly. I love that blue hue and the quality of the photos detail the intricacies, craftsmanship and precision of your carving.
S.A.M liked this
By S.A.M
Today the 29th October marked the carving of the final victims of 2017! I managed to get five done but two of those are for my great-niece and great-nephew, see if you can guess which ones;

The Night King lived up to it's maniac rating! It took over an hour to carve, I was being careful though as I want him to be the show stopper and I'm betting he will be come Halloween night.

But because it was so tiring carving him and the three other pumpkins I skipped my plan to put three grinning jacks on on the largish pumpkin with Pierce on it and I kind of regret it now, ah well.

Paw Patrol and Scared to Death are for my nephew and niece btw Although Chase looks scary in that grouping, both :lol:
So that's the season total at 12 real pumpkins, large, medium and small. Not a personal best but still not bad, I managed to carve all my pumpkins with none left over :D
nosferatu wrote:No, I'm not carving this year at all. I am experiencing Halloween vicariously through forum members.

I always love your photos. Lighting a display is such a difficult technical task but you have mastered it effortlessly. I love that blue hue and the quality of the photos detail the intricacies, craftsmanship and precision of your carving.
Not even one? I don't think I could go a Halloween without carving at least one pumpkin, eek! Thanks Nos. Getting those super bright LED's to not drown out the photos is crazy, I have to switch them off in a split second otherwise it looks like a nuke has gone off in the photo and with a number of sets it's a fair dance :lol: Thanks once again Sir, you're too kind. Be sure to check back on Halloween for the full group shot!
monstermash, amandap80 liked this