Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
In the carving world I guess foam pumpkins are frowned upon.
I've carved both and I prefer the foam. As far as which is harder, each has their own challenges. Different mediums different tools. I say it's all about preference really. They are labors of love!!
Harder to carve, foam. I love the idea of faux 'kins. Real or foam it's hard work and to be able to keep your masterpiece forever has it's appeal for sure. However, storage becomes an issue (at least for me it does) and there is a lot missing from the experience of carving a real pumpkin, everything from how it smells and all that gooey goodness inside. I suffer from Carpel Tunnel and while real pumpkins take their toll on my hands, foam are 10 times worse, even with using a Dremel or Versa Tool. I know, weird.
Raven wrote:Harder to carve, foam. I love the idea of faux 'kins. Real or foam it's hard work and to be able to keep your masterpiece forever has it's appeal for sure. However, storage becomes an issue (at least for me it does) and there is a lot missing from the experience of carving a real pumpkin, everything from how it smells and all that gooey goodness inside. I suffer from Carpel Tunnel and while real pumpkins take their toll on my hands, foam are 10 times worse, even with using a Dremel or Versa Tool. I know, weird.

I agree with all of this. I don't have carpel tunnel but I find the foamies really hard on my hands.
I think it's more of a personal choice.

I carve both -- and they both have their challenges, but I think I am a "better" carver on "reals". And I think I like the look and feel of real better.

I am no artist (that title is for folks like Ryan, who make the patterns possible), but I like working with tools -- Foamies allow me to take my time with them. I typically start, and stop and pick up again over the course of the year, trying out different drill bits & techniques. Absent of any artistic talent myself, I like the challenge of the foam, and seeing my carving improve -- I can turn out some nice ones in foam, if I am not rushed. I'm also a perfectionist and once the sun goes down I keep going back again to tweak and adjust the cuts, the shading and glow; even the following year.

On the flip side, foamies make me feel like I should be wearing a hazmat suit, and require (IMHO) a mask and gear to avoid breathing the dust. But I also like watching my display grow and develop year after year. But then there's there's the storage issue...

Reals pose a different challenge in that once you start, you need to finish before it rots. I actually like the "knife feel" and the glow of a real better than foam, and reals make me "feel" like I am creating some kind of art, even if it's only preserved in photos -- which is a whole other challenge for me (photography).

I think it's all a trade-off... That's why I do both.
I don't think anyone frowns at the foamies; I do both and agree with everyone's pro/cons. But preference, nothing matches a real pumpkin.