Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
Time for me to share the pumpkins that were in my display this Halloween. I envy many of the photos you've all taken. I wish I could find the time to bring my pumpkins "on location" as some of you have - to graveyards and lakes, out in the street or up in a tree. But while I often feel that my photos are rushed, I still try to make them interesting with the choice of lighting and props. Here we go...

My mom kicked things off with the Creepy Doll. The possessed doll head with the evil eyes demanded it be done.

Norman was also carved by my mom. I photographed it with tree branch shadows in the background, representing the forest scenes where Norman goes meddling into the graves of zombies and witches.

I was considering carving Norman, but since it was already done, I added a matching design. Zombie Judge Hopkins, bursting out of the leaf-covered ground.

The zombie judge gives chase through the woods, with Norman just staying a step ahead. I used the hands from Creature Reacher to give the idea that he's grasping for poor Norman.

Another by mother, she really liked The Creeper from Scooby-Doo. I photographed him with outstretched monster arms, just like in the cartoon. "Creeper... Creeeeeeeper!"

Next up, I carved Tarman. Couldn't find a toxic waste barrel to pose him in, but he did find another living-dead friend. Together they can seek "fresh brains!"

The Joker design felt like it came out of left field, but I loved how it turned out so I had to carve it. With his trademark green and purple colors. If you gotta go, go with a smile!

Dust Brain was a challenge because this 35 lb pumpkin was thick! And tough! Even after trying to thin it down, the pumpkin meat was dense and hard to cut through. A cheap plastic tool would have snapped instantly, but thankfully I have some stronger tools. 8) Anyway, this mummy was wrapped up before too long. Literally.

And my final carve - the Grim Reaper came to signal the end of my carving experience for this year. My personal favorite pattern this year, no bones about it.

A group shot of my final 4, the ones I carved on Halloween morning.

And finally... here's the class of 2012. My mom went on a Burton binge and added Barnabas Collins and the Sleepy Hollow Scarecrow Jack on Halloween day. That brings the total here to 10. Very fitting for the 10th anniversary of Zombie Pumpkins, don't you think?

Thanks for looking!
By sloaner
Great pictures Ryan. What do you use for the green and purple lights? I always like your pictures, almost belong in an art gallery.
Thanks. :) All the colored lights are just the plastic LED pumpkin lights that many of us know and love. While the camera is exposing (with the shutter triggered by remote or timer) I bounce the lights off the walls or sides of the pumpkin, at different angles. Every photo you see is one of 10-20 for each pose. It's all about experimenting and discovering what sort of neat effects you can get. You see a shadow cast in a cool way and have a lot of eureka moments.
By Ajax
Such clear vibrant photos and crisp clean lines. I also like that each picture tells a story. You should make a book of your photos of costumes and carves and put it in the shop. I love the one of paranorman being chased by the judged such a cool idea. I also like the joker coloured wall such a simple concept but it really works. The lighted doll face looks really cool to. Really amazing job on all those shots and carves. Can't wait to see your costume.
By nosferatu
Ajax wrote:Such clear vibrant photos and crisp clean lines. I also like that each picture tells a story. You should make a book of your photos of costumes and carves and put it in the shop. I love the one of paranorman being chased by the judged such a cool idea. I also like the joker coloured wall such a simple concept but it really works. The lighted doll face looks really cool to. Really amazing job on all those shots and carves. Can't wait to see your costume.
I've been waiting for that book for years!

They all look like professional shots. Considering how busy you are this time of year, the precision of the carves is amazing as is the photography. Whoever designs the patterns needs a mention too, they should consider doing it every year.

The Grim Reaper seems to be very popular this year but I save my affections for The Creeper and he looks amazing in your photo. The inner wall of the pumpkin adds to his definition and makes what is ultimately a 2D cartoon character look three dimensional. Amazing. The Halloween Jack was my first carve but most people just thought it was a rushed pumpkin and had no idea of the connection! Muppets!

Brilliant yet again. The addition of something as simple as leaves makes a tremendous difference. Maybe next year when designs come out, minions could suggest props too. Your group shots are always outstanding and this year is no different. 8)
By Raven
Wow, Ryan, your mom is one fantastic carver, as are you. It wouldn't really do to have the creator of the patterns not be able to carve them. Your carves are always so precise and your pictures amazing. I always love your use of lighting in them, something I whined about wanting to be able to do to my husband this year. I don't have a white or even close to white colored wall in my house so not sure how well the colors would work. Something to strive for next year!
By monstermash
Gorgeous! Your simple backdrops, clean carves and perfect lighting always make the best photos. i'm little bit jealous to say the least. And i'm envious that you have such a great carver standing by too! You're too good you pest, pack it in! :wink:
By SuperSonic
I`m quite stunned. This ALL looks fabulous!!! Great carves as usual! Can`t see a more fitting way to celebrate the 10th aniversary!
By purple1worm
Great carves! I really like the Judge and Paranormal combo!
The reaper was one of my faves too( sis did that one) ! You guys both did a great job!
By MooBoo
They are all simply amazing! I don't think i can say much else, but WOW! :D