Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
By SuperSonic
What was your thoughts on the new Michaels foamies? They look much brighter on the inside for the cut out sections. Since it's the only craft store near me (and as far as I am aware, the only one in Canada that sells foam pumpkins) its the only option I got.
By St0ney
The Michaels foamies, is a confusing topic, because (2) different companies are supplying them, Both look the same, Because of Micheals Specs.

The Funkin just has a Black Dot on the Bottom,
the Gemmy Has a Number stamped on the bottom.

To be honest, I haven't carved either since they went into production and in sale in the stores.
I do know on the Funkin Model, the foam will be brighter, for the light Block was removed, to allow shaded carvings to glow.
Which was a Huge Issue Last year (that they did not glow for shaded carving)..

A good Trick for any Cut-Out Design, is to add a sheet of Parchment paper inside, Covering the carving area.
This will neutralize and Even out the glow, and also makes it softer (like a soft white).

Nothing Fancy, Like the Wax paper they use to wrap sandwiches.

If Using Parchment,
I feel I also need to post a Warning: I would not use anything brighter than a 5 watt Bulb.
For the Paper could burn with a Hot Bulb. So Use at your own Risk!
All I have to say is,... "WOW!" That intricate of a carve on a very small pumpkin. Mad props StOney. Mad props.
By St0ney
Yes, On most carves I glue the pattern on, So After the carve I soak it in a sink to remove the remaining Glue and pattern, Dust.

Even if the pattern is not glued on, I still give it a rinse, Helps remove Dust, from the carve, or any smudges on the kin.
Their Foam, so water wont hurt them.

FYI: I also Give Real Kins a Dunk, in bleach water, and Scrub the front with a soft bristle brush.
Not only does it help make the pumpkin last, but it cleans it up.
That's intresting. I use that air in a can (the kind meant for keyboards) to help get out the dust from mine.
By St0ney
I too Use Air During the carving Process , But I use an 3 gal Air Compressor with a gun handle attachment.

Don't get me wrong, I don't buy these things just for pumpkin carving,
I use the air compressor for many other things, Like my nail gun, fill tires, Kids play balls etc...

But if you have one, the Gun attachment is like 4 bucks.

So Yea, Air when Carving, Water after the carve, So the pumpkin is clean when Shipped to the customer.
That seems like a solid carve from someone who knows what they're doing! That looks much cleaner than last years model. I bought 1 of them and was totally disapointed in how hard it was to move the ZP tool cleanly. I had to make gradual cuts on the same areas to get it to cut through. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

That seems like a universal thickness at least, and seems to me like it's worth buying! Thanks!