Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
Yea Be careful with those Harbor Freight bits, they don't have many flutes cut in,
And if you go in as deep where the the shaft of the bit is in the foam, Your now Tearing through the foam, instead of cutting it.

BTW: Bits Break, Especially the 1/32" bits - after you buy the dremel set, You'll be looking on-line just for the 1/32"s

33 cents each Here

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/produc ... s+%28WT%29
Carved another one of Stoney's patterns today for my two daughters out in California. They are super excited about it, and I can't wait to see their reaction when they get it! Unfortunately, my ex is asking that I not send it until closer to Halloween because she has nowhere to put it and doesn't want to risk it getting broken, so it will have to stay right here on my dresser until then. After cleaning it up, I realized how very fragile some of the finer details around the mouth and hair are, so maybe this will give me more time to figure out a way to protect it when i pack it in a box for them. Olaf looks a lot better in person as opposed to this picture, I promise.

Last edited by chuckwagon on Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That carve turned out nice. I haven't seen that movie but I hear kids watch the hell out of it. I must be getting old because I keep saying things like "what happened, things used to better when I was a kid" like the classic Disney movies.
Okay guys, I have been absent from carving for waaaay to long because I've been working so much lately and have not had the time to devote to a single carve... I transferred this pattern almost a month ago, and it has been staring at me from across the room begging me to turn to the dark side again...er... I mean CARVE it! When I was window shopping over at Stoney's site I couldn't help but ad this one to the cart! Without a doubt the most intricate carve I have ever done, and my hand has cramps on top of other cramps. WAY tougher than the Pinhead pattern I did in the past. Still need to clean it up and smooth out some lines, but I'm gonna wait for tomorrow and let my freakin' hand relax.

St0ney wrote:Gotta Ask ! Are you using a Flex Shaft ?
Indeed I am! I got the flex shaft a few months back, and it makes a big difference! Much smaller and easier to grip than the big body of the main Dremel tool. I need to figure out a way to hang the Dremel up higher so I have less weight tugging on my hand from slack in the actual flex shaft. I think that is where my battling the hand fatigue is coming from.
Give me a Sec, And I'll Shoot a Pix, this May Help Also !

I'll Just Edit this Post - when I return.

Okay Here's my Setup: This is a Doh Tip - He's an Evil Genius
Hang the Dremel on a Bungee Cord, This Gives it a Spring When you need more Length for the shaft (That Sounds Dirty) - LOL
You can See In the Pix, I also Have a 2nd Dremel Set up.. (I Carve Lots) - LOL

Edit: In case your wondering why the dremel has rubber bands on it, this thing is 15 years Old. And Has seen 100's of pumpkins.
The Two Doors that Cover the Dremel's Carbon brushes, are now Weak (AGE Hurts tools Too), the Rubber Bands Are just to keep those Tight and Closed.
The thing would not work, if these doors are Loose...

Oh and that Pumpkin on the table is on Deck for tomorrow, and it's going to be a biotch to carve :roll:

The MOST Important Tool in the Photo is that Radio Hooked up to my Old I-Pod :thumbsup:

Here's My Super Duper Professional Way I hang the Dremel, It's a Nail in a floor joist - LOL

Thanks Raven, and everyone else for the comments thus far!

Stoney, awesome setup with the bungee chords! From an engineering aspect, I like the idea of having a little bit of spring tension to pull back on the slack, but not so taught that it becomes limiting to the extra inch or so of pull you need while moving the flex-shaft around. Very creative, indeed!
Been wanting to carve "Bat Cave'" for quite some time, and since I bought a handful of smaller foamies, I decided that all the Grinning Jack patterns would look really good on them, so I went ahead and started transfering a few patterns to them. Bat Cave is by far my favorite Grinning Jack pattern. I love the rigid and cavernous look to the mouth.

Last edited by chuckwagon on Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Okay, so this isn't technically a post-carve pic, I know, but the friggin' time I spent just transferring the pattern over is enough to warrant a shot of whiskey...or twelve! :arrowhead: Another Stoneykins pattern this year for me. I'll try to get this done in the next few days.

chuckwagon wrote:Okay, so this isn't technically a post-carve pic, I know, but the friggin' time I spent just transferring the pattern over is enough to warrant a shot of whiskey...or twelve! :arrowhead:
Chuck - 3 Simple Words (Glue the Pattern On) Don't waste time with all that tracing..

The Glue I use now is "Aleene's® Original Tacky Glue" (this stuff is Thick) So I mix it 50% Glue 50% Water - It Bonds much better than the School glue.

It also Dries Faster, Once Dry, Carve right through the Pattern.

Once Carved, Leave the Remaining Pattern on (Don't Pull it off it will take the paint with it)
Now just Place it in a Sink of Warm water for a Good Hour, Before taking the Pumpkin Out Spin it So the Carve is facing you.
Let the water run out of the pumpkin on the UN-Carved Side... Why? If you Pull the Pumpkin right Out, the weight of the water will break the carve...

Now if any Glue Remains Just use a Soft Scrub Brush on it, For a Very Detailed patterm/Stencil, I would Place a Blown Up Balloon inside Before Scrubbing.
It Makes the Pumpkin WHOLE.. That's it Now Just Let dry and your done...

Now I also Like the Stick and Carve Stuff , But not sure I would use it on something This Extreme.
Anything Extreme I glue that Sucka - Don't need a Pattern Pulling up 1/2 way through a carve. :roll: