Exploring the many uses of patterns for other craft projects.
By kittehkat
Hey, guys, I was wondering what kind of paint you use for the shirt-stenciling, how you apply it, and your general use of the stencil. Do you transfer it to a thicker paper, sponge it on, what? Any ideas would be great, help me spread the Ryan-love! :)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Nobody has any advice on this? I'd like to know myself. Never stencil painted a shirt at home before. But it's a great use for your ZP stencils. :D
By Drayco
That's a very good question! I'm surprised no one has given you an answer. I know there are people out there doing it somehow because I see three of Ryan's patterns on a tank top currently up for auction on Ebay:

:arrow: Jolly Roger

:arrow: Bonejangels

:arrow: Animal
By Wedge
Wow someone is making some cash off of our pumpkin masters patterns. I think the person on ebay is using silk screening. There are a lots of places out there that can take a pattern and turn it into a silk screen shirt. I don't think it cost that much if you are making lots of shirts either.

Doesn't Ryan have a copyright on all his images?
By Drayco
Doesn't Ryan have a copyright on all his images?
I'm not sure if he does that's why I tried to bring it to his attention by posting my reply. It's not right that someone who's gotten access to Ryan's patterns turn around and sell them without his consent. :x Hopefully the "Patch Master" will chime in and give us his thoughts.
By mesmark
Every unique artistic creation is copyrighted to the original artist at the time of creation. You don't need to register with any source. Beyond that there is a copyright mark on all ryan's patterns.

Truth be told, it'll be hard to really do anything about it if threats don't work. EBAY will kick them off if contacted, but they'll just be back under a new name.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
The characters aren't mine, obviously. But as mesmark eloquently pointed out, artwork is copyrighted the moment it's created. And I clearly mark all my stencils with a "Copyright" notice.

Not to mention the fact that the Terms of Service for this site state that you "may not profit from products that make use of the stencil designs." Basically, I may want to offer products with my stencils images on them one day, so I want to reserve the right to use my own art.

So yeah, this eBayer is being naughty. They could at least provide a link back to ZP.com so people know where the artwork came from. :?
By Mister_JP
Yeah, eBay sellers will hock anything they can get their hands on.

I had created a Street Fighter II poster that I uploaded onto an arcade art website and someone contacted me about selling printouts of it on eBay. I told them no, but several prints ended up there for bids anyway. There was nothing I could really do about it except complain to eBay. I was pretty SOL to do anything else. Lame.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I'm sure they get a ton of complaints, but in my experience, eBay doesn't act quick enough to that kind of thing. Especially when it comes to copyright concerns. If they reply at all, they'll nag you for proof and such. I think I even had to fax them something once. I understand why they have to do that, but by the time they are done investigating, the auction in question is usually over.

If I see my designs for sale on eBay, I try to contact the seller first. Which is what I did with the shirt seller mentioned above. Once I explained, they apologized for their oversight and agreed not to abuse my designs in the future. All worked out. Sometimes it pays to take the nice approach. :D
By Steve-o
This is probably a "Duh" moment as I may have missed something, but the easiest way to do this may be to just cut out the design on heavy stock paper then trace it on a shirt. Using either fabric crayons or markers available at most art stores to fill 'em in then throwing the shirt in the dryer should do the trick!

That's not a bad idea! I might try it myself! :)
By vertigo
I've been doing this for quite a while and it is actually fairly easy. I use an exacto knife and cut out the pattern, then lay it on the shirt. Use a fabric marker to trace the design on the shirt-just make sure you have a piece of cardboard between the layers or it can go thru onto the back. I buy fabric paint at Michaels and there are some that come in a pen like format, so I use these to trace over the outline of the marker. Once that's dry it's just a matter of painting in your colours and staying in the lines (which is why you need to outline first-makes it a whole lot easier). Just remember when you wash them to turn them inside out first-keeps the colours lasting longer and helps prevent the paint from cracking. You don't need a lot of paint-a thin layer will do or it will end up looking gloopy and cracking anyways. If you want to paint on something black, you'll need to get a special transfer pen which needs to be ironed on-a bit of a pain, but worth the effort.
Hope that helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
By znexo
some of them looked like they were created using screen printing. i'm slowly acquiring the tools for this, and i planned on using a ZP stencil to test it out. so we'll see how it goes.
By Nomadikk
Steve-o wrote:This is probably a "Duh" moment as I may have missed something, but the easiest way to do this may be to just cut out the design on heavy stock paper then trace it on a shirt. Using either fabric crayons or markers available at most art stores to fill 'em in then throwing the shirt in the dryer should do the trick!

That's not a bad idea! I might try it myself! :)
I do a lot of airbrushing, and I use Createx fabric paints(almost identical to acrylics, but seems to stick to the fabric better after frequent washes), and for stencils I use mylar. If you use cardstock, it can easily warp because of wetpaint. I cut out the design, spray the back with an adhesive craft glue spray, place it on the shirt, and then tape up and newspaper the rest of the shirt so overspray doesn't get anywhere else on the shirt. Once your design is firmly pressed and sealed onto the shirt, you can spray it right on. You could probably do this with cheap spray paint too, and it would work with similar results.
By haktup
Look for a silk screen for fun kit I have seen them at micheals they are pretty easy to use there is a sort of paint you put on the screen. Then another that covers the rest of the screen. Let that dry then wash the screen with water the stencile will be all that is left then textile paint comes with the kit.