Hey, what's new with you? Tell us about yourself.
By NikkiRae
So...I'm new to the forum part of the site but I've been on the pattern part for 2 years now. It's become one of my favorite sites to visit and get ideas throughout the year for my pumpkins (I'm constantly thinking about them).

Anybody have a favorite pattern they like to do? I personally like to change it up every year and challenge myself a little more. I tend to have the most interesting pumpkins in my neighborhood. People actually come by and say their friends told them to stop by to see the pumpkins :D This site's patterns are helping me build my reputation even more. Thanks!!!!!
By monstermash
Welcome to the forums NikkiRae. Ive got nothing but halloween on the brain at the moment too. I do like Frankensteins Monster an awful lot. He usually turns up each year. Remember to post some carve pics. We do like to see a nicely sliced and diced pumpkin around here!! :)
By Pumpken
Welcome to the forum NikkiRae. Most of the pumpkins I like to redo each year I have already done on foam, so I usually do new ones on the reals. Please post some photos of your carves so we can all enjoy them.
By NikkiRae
Thank you monstermash and Pumpken! I'm actually trying to get into carving foam pumpkins, but it's a first time experience for me. Are there any suggestions on how to do it? Can you use a regular pumpkin carving knife or do you need a heated tool like I've been reading about? Any advice would be great!

Also, I'll be posting a picture of the couple pumpkins I did last minute last year. Unfortunately, do to a cell phone crash all my other pumpkin pictures have been lost :( Pumpken - I assume your avatar is pumpkins you've done? They're great. Do either of you have pictures posted anywhere else in the forum that I can see what kind of carvings you've done?
By Hottie McNaughty
Welcome, welcome! I tend to re-carve the animal patterns more than once. Can't wait to see your carves this year!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Hi NikkiRae! I think that's awesome that you're getting that reputation as the pumpkin person in your neighborhood. I think many of us fill that same roll on our respective blocks. The satisfaction of a cool carve is made even greater when people from the area can enjoy them, and shower you with praise. And when they ask how you do it, don't forget to mention... zombiepumpkins.com (sorry that was shameless). :lol:

Anyway, glad to have you on the forum now. I like how you've been asking questions, and digging into some old topics around here too. You seem good at keeping conversations going, so you're welcome to keep at it. See you around the patch.
By NikkiRae
Thanks Ryan! And don't worry. I fully intend to give ZP it's credit. I really want to do a funkin carving of the logo to put out every year!!! :D
By Pumpken
NikkiRae, if you are going to get into carving foam pumpkins, I highly recommend getting a Dremel. I do all my carving of cutout patterns with a very small bit. I have used a heated knife which works great for long, straight cuts or slight curved cuts. But for details and small curved areas, I have found the Dremel works best.

You can find more of my pumpkins on this site at Ken's Pumpkin Patch or search for Ken's Pumpkin Patch on Facebook. You can also search the same thing on Youtube to see videos of my past displays. Last year I had 102 pumpkins, both real and foam.

Happy carving season.
By NikkiRae
Pumpken, that's amazing. I will definitely be looking all of that up today. And I'm already looking around for a hot knife. What is your suggestion on the best place to buy a Dremel? And the best price?
By SuperSonic
Welcome, foolish mortal, to the ZP! Patch.

Couldn't help using the quote from "The Haunted Mansion"

I have a few I do every year, just so I can get better and better at them. Mind you though most of them have become recent yearlies.

Patch Master (2005)
Sonic (2010)
Night Owl (2010)
V.I.P. #2 (2011)

I hope to get one more (yearly) out of this season (I typically get one or two).
Last edited by SuperSonic on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By hkzombie
Hello there Nikkirae! So your also the talk of the neighborhood for pumpkin carving? Me too! Im looking forward to your work this year. Im also considering of getting a Dremel this year as well. I found one that is strictly for pumpkin shading only on Amazon or from what everyone else has been suggesting, to get a starter kit so you can also use the tool year round for diy projects around the house. If you go down under Product Reviews on this forum, I already have a thread started regarding this product and a lot of feedback from these dremel experts!

Hope you enjoy your stay here because you can't leave, EVER! :lol:
By Pumpken
Nikki,

If you go to Dremel Pumpkin Carver in the product review section there is a discussion. See what Doh has to say. I agree with him. I don't know if he mentions a foot pedal to turn the dremel on and off like a sewing machine, but it is a must.

I had a dremel 300 and burned up the motor brushes. Since I could find any locally, I went to Home Depot and bought a Dremel 4000. It has worked for several hours so far with no issues. I bought some brushes on the internet, so no I can have a backup. I think the 4000 was $79

Here is a link where you can buy the foot pedal, flex shaft and keyless chuck together. These are all required tools if you plan to do much carving.

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Switch-Flexibl ... 400&sr=8-2

Frequently Bought Together
+ +
Price For All Three: $50.24

Show availability and shipping details
Buy the selected items together
This item: SE Pedal Switch for Flexible Shaft Grinder (972FSG) by SE $14.95
Dremel 4486 MultiPro Keyless Chuck by Dremel $8.63
Dremel 225-01 Flex Shaft Attachment by Dremel $26.66

Hope this helps. It is definitely worth the investment to get these. You will have a much better experience carving foam pumpkins.
By NikkiRae
I'm definitely going to look up all the Dremel reviews and look into getting one. Thank you for all of your advice and all of your welcomes! I really appreciate it! :D