Hey, what's new with you? Tell us about yourself.
By Lala
(moved this because it was in the wrong spot)

So, I couldn't figure out where to post this, but wanted to share it.

I have had an sideshow/freakshow obsession since I was a small child. When my parents used to take me to the county fair (in California) when I was a kid - they would give me a $1 to go walk through the Freakshow tent (ALONE). I loved loved loved it - and got to see acts like the bed of nails and of course a Sword swallower. (and a 5 legged rabbit, in a jar! haha)

Anyway, we go to the local Fair every year. I found out our fair was having a Sword Swallowing show - but it wasn't just anyone - it was Dan Meyer. Dan Meyer is a world record holder, and just amazing. I started crying when I realized he was going to be in my city!!

We got to see the show on 8-26 and it was amazing. I loved it so much (see videos - I had permission to video it)

Afterwards, we had to go meet him (I was SO NERVOUS - I haven't fangirled so hard in my life). He was the sweetest ever, and hugged me (swoon) after finding out that we were there JUST to see him (we actually already had been to the fair another day but he wasn't there yet). We got to talk to him, and he TOTALLY added us as friends on Facebook (squeeeee)

Here is a photo (uggg I hate getting my photo taken)

On Sunday (his last show) I HAD TO take my Brother and Stepson, and ended up begging people to buy pies from me so I could afford to go (haha!)

When we arrived, he came straight over to talk to us and the boys (the boys have seen him on TV - on Netflix - watch Freakshow Season 1 Episode 2. and watch Stan Lee's Superhumans Season 1 Episode 7)

They also loved the show and we got to talk to him again - the boys just are still amazed! (also, more hugs for me. best hugs ever!!!!!!!!!!)

Here's a photo of him with the boys

This is Dan's youtube channel too - if you are able to see any shows of his, PLEASE DO.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CapnCutless" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By Lala
I know right?? my family and friends are already sick of me talking about it. but DUDE. Dan Meyer!
By paddy_babe
So you must of been a fan already to recognize his name straight away :) I think I've seen him on America's Got Talent but I didn't know he was a record holder, that is cool! I love the poses for the pics with the sword, it looks like he is holding you at knife point lol
By Lala
paddy_babe wrote:So you must of been a fan already to recognize his name straight away :) I think I've seen him on America's Got Talent but I didn't know he was a record holder, that is cool! I love the poses for the pics with the sword, it looks like he is holding you at knife point lol
Yep. I couldn't believe it when I read his name. :-) We don't get a lot of good shows here, even though we're a capital city. Although, we are going to see Elton John (for the 3rd time!) on October 10th. I don't think we'll be meeting him though. I'd probably die.
Oh, I'm totally with you. The tradition of carnival sideshows is fascinating. Originating from an interesting era in history, and now an art form that some performers still carry on to this day.

Dan Meyer seems like a great guy, having fun showing off his craft to the crowd. I'll keep an eye out for him in the future. I'm happy that you got to meet him and have such great interaction. Awesome photos. Gotta love how he is holding a sword to everyone's throat, but with such an innocent smile. :lol:

And I know what you mean about being all giddy to meet someone like this, practically feeling star struck, and having to tell your friends all about it. Personally, I've met some cool people that aren't household names but are "famous" in my eyes. And thankfully they are more accessible than mega-celebs. I'm talking about musicians from smaller bands, artists, magicians, special effects people. I'd tell my friends about these encounters and they'd say "who the heck is that?" but meeting these people is my big thrill.