Hey, what's new with you? Tell us about yourself.
By mesmark
I've been checking in but haven't really had time to follow or post on many conversations. My wife decided to run for the city counsel here and so starting in Dec. we were slammed up through to the election in April. The good news is that she won! But, that's also made the house a little busy. Also, this April I picked up 3 new classes at the university I teach at. That's also good, but eats up two of my previously free mornings.

Anyway, all good news but not so good for Halloween planning. However, I have about 6 weeks off until the university picks up again and so I have to get my act together and get to work.

As always, I'm looking forward to sharing Halloween with you guys. I'll try to be a little more active from here on out :D
By Raven
Congratulations to you and your wife! No matter how busy our lives get it's important to make time for those activities we enjoy most, so you will find time for all the Halloween goodness about to begin. I know I am looking forward to seeing everything you put together each year!
Good to have you back! I always look forward to seeing you're Halloween theme and how it all comes together! Congrats on the good news for both of you!
Nice to see you back on the boards for another year Mes. Congrats to you both, it sounds like you'll be busy. I'm sure if you only had a few minutes a day spare you'd still manage to pull off a spooktacular halloween display. So its to be pirates this year, good choice, there should be loads of interesting props to try out. It's doubtful that i'll be having a party myself this year but i don't think it'll stop me tinkering with a few props to keep for other years. And i'll still be carving of course. :)
By mesmark
MM, no party??!!? you lucky dog, you. Are your friends going to be OK with that?

Just joking. I'm getting more and more into the mood. I saw some pumpkins out at the local farmer's market today.

I tend to stress out about Halloween (for most of the year.) But, recently, it's been getting exciting. I think I have to remember that I do this for me ... and it's fun for others. If I think I'm just doing it for others, it, well, stresses me out. Having ZP to share the holiday prep and photos with is also a fabulous time.

So, here we go. 2 months to H-Day everybody. :D
By monstermash
zombombie wrote:
Like MM I don't think I'm having a party this year either. I don't know whether to be a little relieved or sad. I'm a bit of both. I'll still be carving as much as I can though :)

That is exactly how I feel. I'm sad that im probably not having a party but when I start to think about all the stresses that are involved in having such a party it puts me off having one. For example, almost every room in the house and flat have new carpets. New carpets + outdoor party in October + drunk people = MEGA STRESS!!! We always have a lot of people staying over too so its finding room for everyone and having all that to clear up afterwards. And there is costing too. I dont mind spending money on halloween related items but we always end up buying lots of food and drink for the party and last year we did hire a marquee which bumps up costs. And on top of all that ive got the organising of all the props and stressing about them being protected from the elements every year.

I don't know, I probably get over worried about lots the things ive just mentioned and I just need to relax but its always those things that stop me fully enjoying the day. In saying that I never start disliking the season itself, I could never not be exited as autumn begins. I still love everything about halloween, just this year I might celebrate it a bit differently.

What I will say is im a bit more optimistic about the pumpkin situation in the UK this year. We have had a better summer so surely that'll count for something.
By zombombie
Yeah, cot's always an issue, and we've only moved into our new place about 4 months ago, and we're the first people here. So everything's still shiny and new (mostly...) and I'd like to keep it that way. I think it's a bit frustrating that people have come to expect my wife and I to host the party, because no one else will :(

I'm sure something will come up! And even if it's not a full on party, I'll certainly have some friends round for a horror movie marathon :)
By monstermash
Yeah everbody keeps asking us when were having the halloween party this year. I feel like saying when confronted with disappointed faces, "why dont you have it at yours instead?". But it just wouldn't be the same anyway. Nobody else has built a graveyard or carves pumpkins or goes on trips to the local dump to get a ton of firewood or would forkout for a heap of food and drink, and beds, and breakfasts and and and! I could go on but I wont because I sound like I'm moaning. I actually don't mind doing those things but sometimes you just need a year off and it wouldn't hurt if someone else wanted to have a go.
I think this year I will concentrate on carving. Maybe a couple at a time over a few weeks rather than doing all the kins over two days. Hopefully that will mean I can take them places to get better composed pics in different locations. We'll see. There might even end up being a party, who knows.
By nosferatu
monstermash wrote: I think this year I will concentrate on carving. Maybe a couple at a time over a few weeks rather than doing all the kins over two days. Hopefully that will mean I can take them places to get better composed pics .
Sounds like a plan. It might rekindle your desire for a party next year. I plan to carve as soon as pumpkins are available this year and not too many. In the end I had too many stockpiled and not enough time. Dare I say it, I also got bored. I carved for about 15 hours continuously on each of the two days before and on the morning of Halloween looked in the garage and just groaned. I had about 19 left. I only took 4 photographs and didn't even bother posting the results. I'd carved more than ever before but with less satisfaction, I just wanted it to be over and sleep.

They were still there at Christmas and most survived till early February but I had absolutely no desire to carve them.Less is definitely more this year. Fewer, carved more accurately.
Congrats on the new endeavors for you and the family, mesmark. Sounds like you'll be busy, but if that pushes you to manage your time and plan for Halloween earlier, that's a good thing. I'm sure you'll find the time to do what you gotta do!

So mesmark, that's fine if you have to dial back on the size of your party plans... and monstermash and zombombie too... there's no shame in taking a year or two off from hosting parties. I know holding a bash for the enjoyment of everyone else can be stressful on the host.

Every year I want to have a pumpkin carving party and Halloween costume party (and maybe other plans too... go to haunted attractions, public carving demonstrations, spooky travel destinations). But it's not possible to do it all, and when you decide to back down from one of those ideas, it's actually quite a load off your shoulders. Rather than try to do too much, you can enjoy the things you DO have the time and money for.

While it feels sad to not have a party (especially when your past guests expect it of you), in a way it can be a relief and will allow you to breathe and enjoy other aspects of the holiday. If it means you'll have time to carve more pumpkins, I have no problems with that whatsoever. ;)

But nosferatu, you bring up a good point too. Whether its pumpkin carving or party planning or anything else... it should be quality over quantity. Our excitement for the season sometimes pushes us to take on too much. And something you love should never become such a burden that it feels like a chore. So take your time, and make sure what you're doing is for your enjoyment (not to meet the expectations of others).

I know what you mean about wishing someone else would host a party. But like you guys, I don't really know anyone around here that is into Halloween as much as I am, so any party I attend wouldn't be the same level as what I'd want to do myself. Ah, the burden we bear as the kings and queens of Halloween.

Planning various things for Halloween is inevitably stressful at some point, and yet we do it every year. I guess that says something about our love for the holiday, right? Our areas of effort may vary from year to year, but we won't ever stop.
By SuperSonic
Keep the spirits up mesmark! You can pull through it! We hope to see you around the boards this year. :)

Congrats on the achievements too! :)
Take a year and see how you feel. If Halloween comes and go, and you feel less stressed and enjoy the time, then you made the right call. If it comes and goes, and you feel like you really missed out by not having the party, and Halloween wasn't quite the same, then you can always have one again next year. All you did was miss one year.

I had something awhile back that I was so stressed out about not being able to attend in fear that I was really going to let a friend of mine down. When I told him I wouldn't be attending, he was actually completely fine about it, and I felt a million times better.

Good luck in whatever you decide.