Hey, what's new with you? Tell us about yourself.
By chuckwagon
We had been planning for months! After living in our 3 bedroom town-home for 2 years we had decided that with the new baby we needed a bit more room. So, we found a nice four bedroom only a few miles away that is on 10 acres of wooded land with lots of privacy. Our plan was to be completely moved into the new place by the 31st, but keep the old place for an extra day or so just for the sake of Halloween! Well, we didn't realize the amount of CRAP we had to move, and after getting most of our stuff out, I realized that a small Kitchen project that I took on for the Landlady wasn't quite finished, and in order to get our deposit back I needed to complete it. It was just a matter of hanging a few cabinet doors, and putting up some baseboards and toe molding... I spent all Halloween night working in the kitchen, and didn't even get to set my pumpkins out for the trick or treaters... Pfft, I didn't even have any trick or treaters because I had to leave the porch light off so I could get work done.The only plus side of my 2012 Halloween was that my daughter was the cutest Tinkerbell EVER, and got loaded up on candy when my Wife took her door to door. My Phantom of the Opea costume stayed in the closet, the 'kins stayed indoors, the porch light stayed off, and the decorations stayed packed up... Me, my miter saw, and liquid nails stayed cooped up indoors. Not exactly thrilled about how things worked out this year AT ALL! I wanted to curl up in the fetal position and cry because I was so bummed out! I really wanted nothing more than to put on my costume, set out the pumpkins, take the little one trick-or-treating, and have an all around good time, but I guess the Haloween Gods (or ghouls) were not smiling on me this year.
Sorry to be such a buzzkill for everyone, but I didn't know where else to seek comfort except from my fellow minions here at the ZP! forum. I do hope that everyone else had a great night though... Lets have another go in 2013?

On a side note from that, I would like to express my gratitude for Ryan making all the AWESOME patterns for us, and although none of my carves were put outside I had the most fun doing my carves, and am very excited for future stencils, and I plan on doing the Monster Harvest for sure next year!! You are the best Ryan!!
By ghostface
Sorry to here about that chuckwagon! Hey there is always next year. You'll just have to make up next year for what you didn't do this year. :)
By Raven
Sorry to hear about things not going as planned. I kinda know how you feel in a way. My house is so secluded we don't ever get any ToTers. I would love to put out decorations and actually have people see my carved 'kins. I know we will be moving someday and hopefully my next house will at least be visible.

If anything you now have a great excuse to really go overboard next year. :P
By Kayo
i have friends and family in NJ who lost their homes and dont even get halloween (by state mandate it was delayed until tomorrow). so you complaining about not getting to dress up or have trick or treaters because you were fixing up your old living space so you could move to a bigger and better place with your family kinda seems minor compared to everything else going on right now in the country. this struck ME as selfish to complain about no one else has to agree and no one else has to even pay attention to this but I had to say it.
By mudd
Kayo wrote:i have friends and family in NJ who lost their homes and dont even get halloween (by state mandate it was delayed until tomorrow). so you complaining about not getting to dress up or have trick or treaters because you were fixing up your old living space so you could move to a bigger and better place with your family kinda seems minor compared to everything else going on right now in the country. this struck ME as selfish to complain about no one else has to agree and no one else has to even pay attention to this but I had to say it.

i really want to say something, but im biting my tongue .

@chuckwagon - hope it all works out for you in the end .
By sloaner
Kayo wrote:i have friends and family in NJ who lost their homes and dont even get halloween (by state mandate it was delayed until tomorrow). so you complaining about not getting to dress up or have trick or treaters because you were fixing up your old living space so you could move to a bigger and better place with your family kinda seems minor compared to everything else going on right now in the country. this struck ME as selfish to complain about no one else has to agree and no one else has to even pay attention to this but I had to say it.
We all wait for this day and he missed out on it so obviously he was disappointed. He wasn't saying his loss was greater than anybody else's, because it wasn't. There was a lot of worse things to happen to other people but that doesn't mean he can't be vent about his crappy day too.
By purple1worm
I'm sorry to hear you had a crappy Halloween. :(
Hope next year is better for you. It'll be your 1st Halloween in a new place. And you've got 11 months to plan for it! :D
By cuvers
that is terrible, I'm sorry you had to do that, I plan for months as well, and it sux when the weather or some other conflict shuts you down, I don't know if you make props as well as carve pumpkins, or if you have any artificial pumpkins on hand, I have been building /collecting props and spooky stuff for years and have alot of stuff, as I sd we do a big walk thru each year but only on halloween. as much as ppl want to come they already have so much to do and can't make it. so here is what I did a few years ago, and I am suggesting you do it as well to still have a halloween blast! I had a halloween in july party, and it was the bomb! put out all my stuff and my artificial kins' lighting sound the whole shabang, ppl came in costume it was super fun and nice out etc.if you don't have fake kins' use melons! water melon honeydew whatever!, and that goes for any of our forum members that were shut down by "sandy" if you and your friends love halloween as much as alot of us do, you can do it whenever you want to! and believe me when I tell ya, they will be talkin about it for years, ppl always ask me when i am doin' it again.
By cuvers
I think all of us are aware that many ppl were devastated by sandy, and feel deeply for their struggle at this time, but I have to say I do not find it selfish in any way what so ever for someone to come to a halloween based forum and vent that they were disappointed to not be able to participate as planned for whatever reason.
By chuckwagon
Kayo wrote:this struck ME as selfish to complain about no one else has to agree and no one else has to even pay attention to this but I had to say it.
Geez Kayo, selfish? Really? I thought we were all friends here, and I even said that I was posting the thread because I was pretty bummed out about my own personal holiday, and figured that it was suiting to find comfort here of ALL places. I NEVER said that I was above and beyond anyone affected by 'Sandy'. Why go out of your way to type such a hurtful word and direct it at me? Glad to see that I wasn't the only one who noticed it. THANK YOU EVERYONE ELSE FOR YOUR HEARTFELT SYMPATHIES. We get one day out of the entire year to celebrate and do our thing, and when we miss out on that chance it is quite the depressing feeling. For ME, it's like being a kid, and asking all year long for just one specific gift for Christmas, and waiting and waiting only to find out you didn't get the ONE thing you wanted all year. I'm so freakin' sorry if that doesn't bode well with everyone, but I refuse to apologize for feelings and words that I never had or said. Maybe next time Kayo, if you have nothing nice to say... DON'T say it?

OH, BTW... "No one else has to agree or pay attention to this, but I had to say it"!

Feel free to flag or ban me for this. I really am past the point of caring after reading that nonsense! I came here for the support of my friends, NOT to be chastised! I'm not apologizing for being depressed, frustrated, or angry... Happy Halloween INDEED!
By SuperSonic

I kinda disagree with your statement, although tragic on both counts, I'm biting my tongue like mudd is. Newsflash: Everyone knows about what happened on the east coast. I was a part of Sandy's devastation here on the east coast.

Anyway:

Sad to hear chuckwagon! You always have next year :)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I'm of the belief that everyone's feelings are valid. Whether you endured storm devastation, had to work inside on Halloween, or simply didn't get enough peanut butter cups in your sack, we are all entitled to feel bummed.

We all look forward to this holiday, and there's a lot of tradition and emotion riding on what is more or less one day of the year. When things don't go according to plan (for whatever reason) it's frustrating. Believe me, I know it well. I've had Halloweens dampened bad weather, illness, and technical difficulties. The best we can do is look for the silver lining, appreciate what we do have, and say "next year will be better."

chuckwagon, I feel your pain. You clearly have a passion for the holiday, with the carving and costuming, etc. Shame that things didn't fall into place on the night. You're right though, we Halloweenies can stick together and encourage a better experience next time.

I'm really glad to hear that your little Tinkerbell had fun and made a good candy haul. And I like what zombombie said. Next year you'll have a bigger place and will be ahead of the game. You can use the pumpkins, costume, and decorations you had planned for this year... but you have time to make it all bigger and better for Halloween 2013.

Thank you for the compliments too. I'll still be here next Halloween season, making pumpkin patterns and encouraging the spooky fun. So we all have that to look forward to!